Dr. Janet L. Maxwell
- Ph.D., (1988) Chemistry, University of South Carolina
- B.S., (1983) Chemistry, University of Oklahoma
CHEM 3351/3151, CHEM 3352/3152, CHEM 4351
Dr. Maxwell works with undergraduates in a project that involves the synthesis of a series of possible estrogen derivatives. Most recently they have synthesized a novel compound, (2S,6R)-1,1,3-triethoxycarbonyl-2,6-di(4-methoxyphenyl) cyclohex-3-en-4-ol. They are currently working on an investigation of the mechanism of the production of the above compound using chlorine and possibly fluorine analogs of the reactants.
In the Summer of 2006, Dr. Maxwell worked with Kayde Hill and Bianca Baeza to investigate the mechanism of the formation of a novel cyclic compound. Using 13C-NMR, we were able to determine that the data supports the operation of two distinct mechanisms in the reaction. Kayde and Bianca plan to present their data at the Undergraduate Poster Sessions at the National American Chemical Society Meeting in the Spring of 2007.
Current research with Richard Murdoch involves the synthesis of a new enamine derivative for use as an enol equivalent in a Michael addition reaction.
2004 ACS National Meeting Undergraduate Posters. Anaheim, CA
- Finley, Jerrica D.; Stephens, Sarah S.; Carter, David; and Maxwell, Janet L. ;Synthesis and Analysis of (2S,6R)-1,1,3-triethoxycarbonyl-2,6-di(4-methoxyphenyl) cyclohex-3-en-4-ol and its Enantiomer
- Crowson, Ryan; Ellichman, Michael; Finley, Jerrica D. and Maxwell, Janet L. Investigations into the Mechanism of the Production of (2S,6R)-1,1,3-triethoxycarbonyl-2,6-di(4-methoxyphenyl) cyclohex-3-en-4-ol and its Enantiomer 2003 Southwest Regional ACS meeting. Oklahoma City, OK
- Findley, Jerrica D. and Maxwell, Janet L. Product Analysis in the Reaction Mixture of (4-methoxybenzylidene) malonic acid diethyl ester and Ethyl acetoacetate Permian Basin ACS Sectional Meeting. Odessa, TX
- Maxwell, Janet L. Attempted Synthesis of Estrogen Analogs 2003 ACS National Meeting Undergraduate Posters. New Orleans, LA
- Lowther, Ervin L. and Maxwell, Janet L. Synthesis and analysis of diethyl 2-(4-methoxyphenyl)-4,6-dioxocyclohexane-1,3-dicarboxylate
- Lieber, Amber J., Stephens, Sarah S. and Maxwell, Janet L. Spectroscopic analysis of diethyl 2-(4-methoxyphenyl)-4,6-dioxocyclohexane-1,3-dicarboxylate